I've been seeing a lot about a reading challenge . I've been considering it myself, but not a formal participation. More like just seeing if I can meet my personal goal and have it be for bettering myself.
I like to say I don't read a lot. That I don't have time. However, I was going over the past year and realize I read a TON! Beyond work related documents and school textbooks, In the last year I read:
1. A Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan
2. Hannibal by Thomas Harris
3. Candide by Voltaire
4. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
5. Lair of the White Worm by Bram Stoker
6. A book on baby development and psychology--name and author escape me
7. Predator by Patricia Cornwell
8. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (in Spanish in the effort to keep up my language skills)
9. The Voyage of the Beagle by Charles Darwin
10. The Entire Works of L. Frank Baum (yes, they are children's stories...but I'm counting them! They are absolutely fabulous by the way)
So I think I will try to read 12 books. I think for me that'll be a very doable goal. I've already got a few books I received for Christmas that I plan to read in the course of the year.
1. The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan
2. The Collective Works of HG Wells (should count for a heck of a lot more than one book here)
I am fairly certain I will complete those two. I am wondering what else I should read. I have many books I've never, ever been able to get thru for various reasons and maybe I should revisit those.
1. Anna Karenina--got confused. Too many people with too similar of names.
2. Silas Marner--not sure what happened here
3. The Name of the Rose--Someone told me the mystery and ruined it for me.
4. The Robot Chronicles--Got Bored
5. Kiss the Girls--Got too creeped out
6. A Scientist in the City--Keep falling asleep on page 30
I'd take suggestions...