Saturday, August 15, 2009

Back to Basics

I’ve been trying something lately.


You see, a few months back, Weight Watchers just stopped working for me. I mean, not only did I stop losing weight. Not only was I still chubby. But eating WW sponsored foods and keeping to my points I began GAINING weight.

So, I’m going back to eating how I did when I was skinny.
  • I’ve rejoined the slow foods movement.

  • I have become once more something I call a “Catholic Vegetarian” (because fish doesn’t count as a meat)

  • And I’ve begun looking for things that cause my incessant stomach upset and nausea—I think I’ve nailed it down to partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. Because since I stopped eating anything with it? I have stopped feeling sick.

And it’s working. I’ve lost weight. A lot actually in just the last week which I know is probably all water (eating this way has much lower sodium levels). But it’s made me pleased. My wedding band, which was too tight 2 weeks ago, fell off when I was digging in my purse at the store at lunch.

I’ve also stopped counting points, calories, or anything of the like. I’m simply eating better, higher dietary fiber, mostly lower fat/calorie foods by default.

I know this alone probably won’t get me to my goal, and definitely won’t have me looking like I did back then (I’m not working out 3 times a day). But it’s a responsible step that DOES seem to be currently working for me. And if it didn’t help me lose weight? Well, it really couldn’t hurt. Nothing about this diet is dangerous.

And I’m not going to be a slave to it either. Because when I was skinny? Well, I didn’t ALWAYS eat like I should…But divergence was usually saved for special occasions. The Thanksgiving Turkey. The Easter Lamb. The Fathers Day Steak and Potato dinner.


After all, the best diets? Allow for the occasional cheeseburger and fries.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'Grats on the weight loss! It's fantastic you've found a new directionl