Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Naughty Boy




Sometimes I wonder how it is that Sasha is *MY* child.

He definitely did get his love of animals from me. I was the kid who brought home wild things to nurse back to health, had dogs follow them home from school, and if you went into my room you had to be prepared for almost anything to pop out if you opened up a mystery container. I didn't keep anything wild permanently...just until it was better and ready to go back...so it was a rotating zoo.

However, there are two animals I NEVER brought home:
  • Cats--we all had allergies to them.
  • Snakes--I am phobic.

But my son, he seems to have picked up on my discomfort around the things, all while feeling totally comfortable around them himself.

He LOOOOOVES snakes!

We have them all the time in the yard--little, non-venomous garden snakes (ring necks, black snakes, etc.). I like to send the Hound out before me so she can slurp them up like spaghetti and I can go outside without a coronary. Sasha loves the little boogers and always wants to pick them up (Momma says no. If nothing else, they are wild things and since they don't need our help, he should leave them be). Yesterday, he got a rubber toy snake from Grandma at his begging and has since enjoyed pushing it into my face and giggling "Momma! 'Nake! Ewwie, yucky 'nake!...heeheehee!" and watching me cringe.

This child cannot be my child.

ETA: as an adult I'm AMAZED I never got rabies, worms, ringworm, fleas, ticks, or any of a thousand other ailments from messing with wild animals. I was never bit either. My guardian angel must've been putting in some serious overtime. But really, I never had anything bad happen to me from it--except for the occasional scolding (like when Grandma caught me trying to take a jackrabbit into her house...).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Monkey has taken a liking to spiders which I am deathly afraid of. Luckily, so far, he has no plastic ones but all of the books with them he loves. I can tolerate the Eric Carle one about the spider because it's cute, but the ones with actual pictures make me cringe.