Monday, April 27, 2009

Suck and Blow

No, this isn't a dirty post.

It turns out that Sasha probably has asthma.

He was having horrible wheezing this weekend and when we took him to the pediatrician (thinking he'd gotten pneumonia, bronchitis, or croup), they discovered he had no infection. Nope. This was just a worsening of his allergy symptoms in response to all the pollen because he has a tree-pollen allergy (despite the fact he doesn't have allergies) and the count went way, way up with the lovely, sunny weather.

So they sent us home with a nebulizer and some chewables used to control asthma to try for a few days to see if he improves.

And he's improved greatly, for which I am greatful. Well, except that it means its most likely asthma, which is so dangerous.

Unfortunately, the nebulizer freaks him the heck out so we have to do it when he's sleeping. And the chewables, he doesn't like so it's a battle to get him to take them. Also, insurance evidently doesn't cover these in small children (and I get laid off Thursday, so we're not exactly rolling in the dough right now)--but I'll do whatever needs to be done so he can get his medication.

After a horrible weekend watching my child struggling to breathe, he's been kind of a little booger this morning. Which is good. If he's well enough to be a pain in my behind, then bring on the Two-ness 'Tude. It's better than the alternative.

1 comment:

caramama said...

Yuck! Asthma is no fun, and dangerous! Thank goodness there is medicine that seems to be working.

The pollen is so insane around here lately that everyone I know has been affected. I can barely breathe right now, my nose is running like a faucet, and I want to scratch my eyes out! Hopefully, the pollen will ease soon and we will all feel a bit better.

Good luck with getting Sasha to take his meds, and with him being a pain in the butt!